Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Undertraining


This, I believe is an important part of my PCT experience. I have been doing a very good job with undertraining.
 The usual daily routine: I wake up every morning before 7, I then read other people's trail journals on Postholer dot com. Then I might go for a short, or more recently (due to McKenzie Outfitters closing) long hike with the dogs. When I return in the afternoon, I unpack and repack the contents of my backpack over and over.  Then, when I feel I have accomplished nothing, I open a beer. Now were getting somewhere. Beer drinking, in my opinion, is by far the best way to undertrain for any four plus month hike. It wastes time and money, and dehydrates you too! I can't think of a better way to prepare for a walk from Mexico to Canada.
Hard at work


 At least I do get to some hiking done during my days. Since November I have walked over 200 miles with a loaded pack (25-28 lbs). I started by walking to work every other day with my pack. About 3 miles. On my days off I was walking at least 10 to 12 miles at Mt Pisgah, or on the Ridgeline Trail.  The full moon runs have been a real strength builder too; Tequila shots at the top of Pisgah help with the mental side of hiking; stumbleing down hill with a stomach ache. I really can't figure out why else they would drink tequila  up there.















 My best training partners




  Now that the shop I was working at is closed, I have had much more time for beer (um i mean walking) .  I have been getting in 15+ miles regularly At Goodman creek trail, and the  McKenzie River trail. There has been a lot of time for skiing too. When I make it to the pass more than one time a week, I make one of those days a backcountry day. So far they have all involved at least 2000 to 3000 foot gains on my skis. That must be worth something.

My goal is to hit at least 400 training miles before I start walking north from Campo. People often figure that starting the trail will be their training. The problem is that almost always leads to stress injures. My goal is to strengthen my feet and lower leg muscles now, so I avoid stress injuries in the first few weeks of walking, and I will just get stronger as I go.

62 days until I leave Eugene (who's counting anyway). That sounds like a lot of days, but I know it will go by in a real hurry.

Here is another very cool video clip  of a guy who likes to walk : www.lovelifefilm.com

And on a different subject, there's an old time band is playing at Sam Bond's  tonight. They should be very good. Watch a clip of them on  a Prairie Home Companion : Pert Near Sandstone

No comments: