Tuesday, November 16, 2010

catching up on the business. 11-13-10

So i have completely neglected my blog. But here I am thinking I need to write about whats happening.
So my last post was from the trail at Snoqualmie pass. I will give a quick debriefing of what happened next. Julia dropped us off at the trail,  and we ascended straight into the snow. Then it turned to rain  then sleet. we saw many weekend backpackers running back to their cars to get out of a miserable situation.  And we kept walking.  The rain never stopped.  I wanted to go home. After another four days of rain walking, we made it to Skykomish, and got a hotel  room. This was the hardest part of the trail for me.  I had to make a decision now,  to continue on waking up every morning dreading the task of the day, or to not reach Canada and call it good.

 I had come almost 2500 miles, and I loved it until this point. so with 175 miles and about 8 days (forecasted to rain every one of them) to Manning park, I decided it was time for me to go home. I did not complete the whole trail in one season. and to this moment, two months later, I do not  and have not regretted my decision once. I had never felt truly depressed and un happy, until my last week on the trail in the rain and cold.  continuing on like that just seemed so un necessary. Perhaps if i had seen some of Washington's epic views, and could have dried my sleeping bag a time or two it would have been different. But it wasn't.  And that was the coolest trip I have experienced yet.

Now Jessica and I have a backpacking trip planed for next summer, and I cant wait. The Canadian border should still be there, and hopefully we see the most beautiful section of trail with some blue sky.

Since I have been home, I have been filling my time working, and dreaming about the trail life. And thats about it. When you spend all day as a stone mason,  all you want to do after work is sit still. I guess the good news is after almost five months of just walking, I finally have got some upper body strength.

This afternoon I'm moving back to the woods. I took a sort of caretaker and maintenance  position for the winter at Opal Creek Ancient Forest.  Its a very cool old mining camp that is used as an education center in the summer. I will live there with a couple other people, taking care of the property until april.
Im hoping this works out so I can be skiing off my front porch and into the woods at any moment I wish.

Stay posted for pics of this next adventure. and i do have internet at my new home in the woods, so send me an email, and let me know when you want to come visit.
And thanks to every one who helped me on my hike. I honestly could not have done it with out all of you. The PCT had been my dream for a long time, and I got to experience it to the fullest. I owe many thanks.

No comments: